We have a new address at CoachBechler.Blogspot.com. Please visit the new site and subscribe. Thanks.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Are You Growing?

“Do or do not...there is no try” the Jedi Master, Yoda, said to the young Luke Skywalker. I was a youngster when The Empire Strikes Back was in theaters. I loved that line then and I love it today. It can be used in a variety of settings.  However, as I have been thinking about leadership the last few weeks, it has become apparent that some of us get stagnant and don’t really commit to growth as leaders. We say we’ll try, but we don’t really.

I recently gave a copy of a leadership book by Doug Dickerson “Leaders Without Borders” to my boss. He is quite busy , yet he read the book within the next week. He didn’t even say he’d “try”...if said that he’d read it on his next trip while he was flying. If we have committed to being leaders then that is a lifelong commitment that requires lifelong learning. Because I read a John Maxwell book years ago or earned a leadership award or received a promotion does not mean I am growing as a leader. You never arrive as a leader. Fortunately, we do not have to reinvent the wheel. Leadership growth, leadership models and leadership examples exist nearly everywhere we look. You may have role models. You might have a mentor. You may just soak in the readings, videos, and seminars of those that can provide insights. Regardless, I encourage you to avoid complacency and instead, latch on a lifelong habit of continual learning. Do you care enough to grow today...tomorrow...and in the future?

This article was written for the April 2011 issue of "THE ENCOURAGING LEADER".  To see more issues of the newsletter, go to www.U-Leadership.com

No comments:

Post a Comment